The Kennedys

The Kennedys
Stephen, Angel, Caoimhe &Taylor

Donate to Liberty Baptist Minitries

Monday, September 9, 2013

"Ignoring the Lord" - Sermon by Stephen Kennedy

Ignoring the Lord
Job 19: 14-17
I)                   His Cry. Vs. 15 Cease to treat me as the head of the house.
A)    The cry of sorrow. Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
B)    The cry of supping. Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
C)    The cry of service. Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me
II)                His Call. Vs. 16, Proverbs 1:24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
A)    The call of relationship. Isaiah 65:11-14 But ye are they that forsake the LORD, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for that troop, and that furnish the drink offering unto that number. Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not. Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, my servants shall eat, but ye shall be hungry: behold, my servants shall drink, but ye shall be thirsty: behold, my servants shall rejoice, but ye shall be ashamed: Behold, my servants shall sing for joy of heart, but ye shall cry for sorrow of heart, and shall howl for vexation of spirit.
B)    The call of redemption. Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
C)    The call of rejection. John 1:9-11 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
III)             His Claim. Vs. 16. 144 times the Bibles mentions the exact phrase “my God”.
A)    Moses cried “my God”.  Exodus 15:2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.
B)    Joshua cried “my God”. Joshua 14:8 Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God.
C)    Ruth cried “my God”. Ruth 1:16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
D)    David cried “my God”. Psalms 18:2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
E)     Isaiah cried “my God”.  Isaiah 25:1 O LORD, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth.
F)     Jeremiah, the weeping prophet cried “my God”. Jeremiah 31:18 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God.
G)    Doubting Thomas cried “my God”. John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
H)    Apostle Paul cried “my God”.  Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
IV)             His Child. Vs. 16
A)    Christ is the Word. John 1:1,14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
1.      The Word will not return void. Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
2.      The Word shall stand forever. Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
B)    Christ is the Way. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
C)    Christ is to be worshiped. Revelation 15:3-4 And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints. Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.
1.      Worship in Spirit and Truth. John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

V)                His Church. Vs. 17 God breath – Inspirational. 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: The word strange means foreign.
A)    His Word is foreign. Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
B)    His Doctrines are foreign. Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Hebrews 13:9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.
1.      Through the ignorance of self-righteousness. Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
2.      Through the ignorance of spiritual-blindness. Ephesians 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
C)    His Presence is foreign. Jeremiah 8:7 Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the LORD. Jeremiah 9:3 And they bend their tongues like their bow for lies: but they are not valiant for the truth upon the earth; for they proceed from evil to evil, and they know not me, saith the LORD.
1.      Without the presence of God there is no conviction.
2.      Without the presence of God there is no conversion.
3.      Without the presence of God there is no communication.
4.      Without the presence of God there is compromise.

VI)             His Cost. Vs. 17
A)    Leaving the glories of Heaven. One night He spent in the palace of Glory....the next night He spent in a stable.  One day He wore the purple robe of royalty....the next He wore the garb of a poor peasant. Philippians 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
B)    Lonely life on earth. If you left your home a few years and then came back and no one recognized you, surely life would be empty and disappointing for you.  He was lonely in another way.  He loved a prefect life among imperfect people.  This was natural source of loneliness, even the loneliness of Spirit, which is harder to bear than any other type of loneliness. Matthew 8:20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head. John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
C)   Long suffering on Calvary. This old world has seen some dark days.  It was a dark day when the flood swept mankind off the face of the earth.  It is a dark day when the earth trembles with an earthquake and thousands are killed.  It is a dark day when fire sweeps over an area and leaves death and destruction in its wake.  It is a dark day when war is declared and men go forth to do wholesale murder.  But the day when Jesus died on the cross was the darkest day this world has ever seen. Luke 23:33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
1.      There’s the suffering of the great drops of blood at Gethsemane.
2.      There’s the suffering of the great strips of battle at the Government.
3.      There’s the suffering of the great pierces of brutality at Golgotha.

 When the nails pierced His hands, He was buying our hands with all their power to work and to serve Him.  When the nails pierced His feet, He was buying our feet with all their power to go, and to run errand of mercy and to work for Him.  When the jagged crown of thorns pierced his brow, He was buying our brain with all its power to think and plan for the progress of the Kingdom of God.  When the spear went into His heart, He was buying our hearts with all their power to love and to lift and to serve.  We are His...every bit of us...He died for you....Will you live for?